Guernsey Airport is located three miles west south west of St. Peter Port, the Island's capital.
The airport was officially opened on the 5th of May 1939, but the development of regular air services was not commenced until October 1946.
Originally the airport comprised of four grass runways which varied in length from 2,040 to 3,060 feet.
In 1960 the Airport opened a new tarmac surfaced runway with a length of 4,800 feet which remains in operation today.
In 2000 the Airport handled 884,284 passengers and 56,784 aircraft movements of which 71% were commercial aircraft and 27% were general aviation.